I made this for a friend and her soon-to-be-born son. It’s my first finished quilt. Until now I was an excellent quilt top maker. I think I have 3-4 unfinished tops in boxes around the house somewhere.
I like that this one was much smaller and easier to handle. Putting the binding tape on was kind of a bear though. I ended up being an hour late to the shower because first – spare threads EVERYWHERE! Every time I thought I was done, another 20 would pop up. Then, just as I was folding it to wrap I noticed I completely missed the binding tape. Like by an inch. How I didn’t notice the dark blue thread on the red background, I’ll never know. I had to rip out and re-stitch almost one whole side of the quilt. Had to force myself to slow down, too.
Anyway, it’s a very basic quilt. I just used my ruler to cut the strips then stitch them together and cut the strips into squares. I couldn’t decide how to do the quilting because half the squares were a textured fabric that I didn’t want to flatten. What I ended up doing was crisscross quilting on the Marvel squares which I think looks cute. I’m pleased with the final results.
I think I’m going to try a more abstract strip quilt for my next project.